Monday, March 26, 2012

Item not linked to dataset, and "table1" issue

Hi--

I have a report project in VS (2003). I have a report in that project that was working properly. I copied objects from that report to a new one and created a new dataset for the new report (under it's Data tab). Though both datasets (for each of the reports) seem healthy, i.e., they produce data when run, I am now experiencing the following problems:

1. In both reports, the datasets seem to be unlinked, somehow. I know this by right clicking on a field of the report, going to expressions, then selecting the Fields node. Instead of listing fields, as used to be the case, it now says "Report item not linked to a dataset."

2. If I attempt to preview either of the reports, I get an error that reads, "The table 'table1' refers to an invalid dataset name 'MedMgmt.' MedMgmt is the dataset name of the first report. I changed it to another name, but I still get the same message.

I have clicked and right-clicked everywhere and have not found a way to re-link the dataset to the report. Why Reporting Services can't figure out that the dataset in the report's Data tab is the dataset to link to is a point of deep annoyance, but whatever... If anyone can please help me solve these problems, I would be very grateful! Thank you!

I have exactly the same problem. Only way around it (for me) so far has been to build the report all over and let the wizard link it, then copy the elements 1 by 1 from original... real pain...

There's GOT to be a better way?

|||

I think i know what it is. What is this object you are looking to link? If its a table, List, or Matrix : Right click the object (make sure the whole object is selected and click properties. if properties slides out Scroll down to "Dataset Name", there should be a drop down which all the datasets in your report. Select the one you are grabbing you attributes from. The reason your getting that error is, the object is linked to dataset names from your other report (since you copied them over). So you need to change the dataset names for each object. This is why it shows the name of your dataset from your other report.

IF the properties box opens up for the table/matrix/list , then you should see (3 textboxes down) "Dataset Name". if its empty or has something in it...i would click the dropdown anyways, and make sure the right dataset it selected.

I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment