Friday, March 30, 2012

I've installed SQL express, now what?

This may be a stupid question, but I've installed SQL Express and I don't know what to do next. I went to my program files/Microsft SQL... and the only folder present is a configuration folder.

Next I went to my control panel/admin tools/ODBC and succussfully created a user data source. (With the help of the forum!)

Obviously, I've never used SQL before, but I've read a couple of books and other stuff online, and I want to teach myself. So I decided to install this. Basically, I'm looking for answers on how to access the database. I know it's installed, it's in the Add/Remove programs list. I just don't know how to connect/access it.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Stacey

I think I figured it out. You have to access the DB using another program, and connect using the ODBC that I previously created. Am I correct?

I thought it was an independent DB, meaning I could directly access it. Thanks!

|||

Hi

You'll need to download SQL Management Studio Express (here). It will allow you to create databases, run queries etc. That way you won't have to work "in the dark".

HTH

|||

Thank you so much for helping me. Now I just have to figure out how to use it, and what to do!!!

Stacey

|||Update - Thank you so much Andre! I am off and running thanks to you. I figured out how to use it, and now I'm learning SQL thanks to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment