Friday, March 30, 2012

Ive been given a query analizer for MSDE are there others

Greetings,

I've been sent an alternative "Query Analizer" thingy to play with and it seems to do the job - but it ain't my area.

I've posted the tool in a free public place for a short time:
http://www.adoanywhere.com/members/yeohray/7C1_SQLTool.zip

But, for the benefit of people reding this from the archives, please follow
the registerable author link [ http://81.130.213.94/myforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78&PN=1&TPN=1 ]

Apart from needing documentation (we all know about that old scenario) it seems good.

It didn't waste my time (and I wouldn't waste yours I hope). Could I have your comments please ?

Also, I'm looking for other tools that do the same as this one - so I can compare functionality. Even without try the freebie, any links please ?

TIAyou've "been sent"? by whom? where's it from? did you virus-check it?

okay, i tried it (yes, i took a chance, i'm stupid that way)

it actually works nicely -- a damn site better at submitting queries to MSDE than the way i was doing it up till now (via a pass-through query in access)

it's cute, too|||Good point about the security!

I'll address that issue with the author, virus scanners here should have picked them up though.

I got it from a chap I was assisting with some Delphi knowledge.

Thanks for checking it out, I didn't understand all of it myself.|||so, this isn't yours, then? i mean, it isn't adoanywhere's? don't they have something similar? how come you posted it on their forum? do you work for adoanywhere? do they mind you mentioning what appears to be a competing product? just what does their product do, anyway? and where did you say you got this little Delphi app, in case it screws somethying up on my machine and i feel like visiting the said chap at his place of residence with a clue-by-four?

:D|||Ther author was having problems with bugs in Delphi and retrieval of stats & plans through ADO. With adoanywhere forum help he eventually got it resolved and posted the tool for us to play with. I've used it witout problems since it was uploaded but I'll make it clearer in future posts and on the forum that all these third party apps are at downloaders risk.

I work for adoanwyhere - I wrote adoanywhere, and it's no problem adding other tools to forum if you know of any. Glad to 'ave 'em.

Mike (adoanywhere)|||okay, thanks for the clarification

by the way, does your product allow me to run queries against MSDE too?

i should mention i haven't a clue what ADO is (and no particular desire to find out)|||Yeah, you can query MSDE with adoanywhere.

ADO is an interface (bit like ODBC), so you can query databases that have and ADO "driver" - called provider in ado lingo.

Most databses have an ADO provider. Problem is though that ADO has loads of properties are that may or may not be available at any give time in your application.

Adoanywhere lets you fiddle with the ado settings. So although you can query data with it, it does more complex stuff at its heart.

I generally use adoanywhere for querying & checking ado properties - then switch to proprietry tools (like query analizer and Enterprise manager) for database management stuff. Horses for courses as they say.

All the best, Mike.sql

No comments:

Post a Comment