Friday, March 30, 2012

ITW says workload does not contain events or queries to use

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting the Index Tuning Wizard to analyze my workload.
I'm using SQL Server 2000. I've run the ITW against several different trace
files, and keep getting an error that says, "The workload does not contain
any events or queries that can be tuned against current database. Check to
see that the trace contains valid events or that the SQL script contains
valid queries and you are tuning against the right database."
In one case, as a test I ran the ITW against a trace file that I had run it
on about a month ago and gotten results from. Even with that file I still go
t
this error. In other cases when I try to run ITW on an older trace file, it
crashes. I've tried running ITW from another user's computer, with the same
result, so it doesn't seem to be my computer that's at fault.
I'm using the SqlProfilerTuning trace template. I've checked my trace
template against the same template on another computer to see if I had
changed something and broken it, but the only difference was that mine was
recording one additional data column, ApplicationName.
The events I'm recording are RPC:Completed and SQL:BatchCompleted.
There have definitely been data updates to at least some of the tables I'm
asking it to analyze. In some cases there have not been many updates (a doze
n
to a few dozen)--ITW documentation indicates that the ITW may fail if there
have not been enough changes to analyze, but it doesn't give any indication
as to what is enough.
Any suggestions what might be the problem, or how I could find out what the
problem is?
EachusDid you take a look at BOL Index: "Troubleshooting the Index Tuning Wizard"
?
HTH,
Vinod Kumar
MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD
http://www.extremeexperts.com
Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp
"Eachus" <Eachus@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:42FB19DB-3631-4F02-A3BB-71A2B7EDFABD@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I'm having trouble getting the Index Tuning Wizard to analyze my workload.
> I'm using SQL Server 2000. I've run the ITW against several different
trace
> files, and keep getting an error that says, "The workload does not contain
> any events or queries that can be tuned against current database. Check to
> see that the trace contains valid events or that the SQL script contains
> valid queries and you are tuning against the right database."
> In one case, as a test I ran the ITW against a trace file that I had run
it
> on about a month ago and gotten results from. Even with that file I still
got
> this error. In other cases when I try to run ITW on an older trace file,
it
> crashes. I've tried running ITW from another user's computer, with the
same
> result, so it doesn't seem to be my computer that's at fault.
> I'm using the SqlProfilerTuning trace template. I've checked my trace
> template against the same template on another computer to see if I had
> changed something and broken it, but the only difference was that mine was
> recording one additional data column, ApplicationName.
> The events I'm recording are RPC:Completed and SQL:BatchCompleted.
> There have definitely been data updates to at least some of the tables I'm
> asking it to analyze. In some cases there have not been many updates (a
dozen
> to a few dozen)--ITW documentation indicates that the ITW may fail if
there
> have not been enough changes to analyze, but it doesn't give any
indication
> as to what is enough.
> Any suggestions what might be the problem, or how I could find out what
the
> problem is?
> Eachus|||Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I have read that page. It doesn't address
either of the messages that I'm receiving.
The messages I receive most often is:
"The workload does not contain any events or queries that can be tuned
against current database. Check to see that the trace contains valid events
or that the SQL script contains valid queries and you are tuning against the
right database."
Sometimes I get this message:
"There are no events in the workload. Either the trace file contained no SQL
batch or RPC events or the SQL script contained no SQL queries."
According to all the documentation I can find, the RPC:Completed and
SQL:BatchCompleted events that the trace is capturing are what ITW needs, so
that message doesn't make any sense.
Laura
"Vinod Kumar" wrote:

> Did you take a look at BOL Index: "Troubleshooting the Index Tuning Wizard
"
> ?
> --
> HTH,
> Vinod Kumar
> MCSE, DBA, MCAD, MCSD
> http://www.extremeexperts.com
> Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp
> "Eachus" <Eachus@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:42FB19DB-3631-4F02-A3BB-71A2B7EDFABD@.microsoft.com...
> trace
> it
> got
> it
> same
> dozen
> there
> indication
> the
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment