Friday, March 30, 2012

I've been hacked....

I'm a novice with SQL Server (using SQL 7.0). It appears I've been hacked a
nd I'm considering nuking the whole network and starting over (it's only a h
alf-dozen machines). I would like to upgrade to SQL 2000.
Recently we lost our connection to SQL (we get a network error even on the m
achine the data is on). I've done regular backups, but I don't know how to
restore the backup to a different machine. I know you can do it using detac
h-attach, but I didn't know
we were going to lose the server, so I never "detached" the database. I tri
ed to restore a database to a different machine once before and I remember i
t wouldn't let me do it.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I could try installing 2000 on the machin
e in question, but I'm afraid I might lose the data permanently that way.
Thanks for your help.
Reed SprungFirst off...what errors are you getting when you try to restore the
database?
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting
www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm
www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.
"Reed" <rsprung@.solutionsom.com> wrote in message
news:429DCDE6-22FB-4663-9975-C6FE5FB0484E@.microsoft.com...
> I'm a novice with SQL Server (using SQL 7.0). It appears I've been hacked
and I'm considering nuking the whole network and starting over (it's only a
half-dozen machines). I would like to upgrade to SQL 2000.
> Recently we lost our connection to SQL (we get a network error even on the
machine the data is on). I've done regular backups, but I don't know how to
restore the backup to a different machine. I know you can do it using
detach-attach, but I didn't know we were going to lose the server, so I
never "detached" the database. I tried to restore a database to a different
machine once before and I remember it wouldn't let me do it.
> Does anyone have any suggestions? I could try installing 2000 on the
machine in question, but I'm afraid I might lose the data permanently that
way.
> Thanks for your help.
> Reed Sprung|||I haven't tried. I don't have another machine running SQL right now (I will
soon). I just remember that I couldn't do it before (this was probably a c
ouple of years ago).
Are you telling me that I should be able to restore to a different machine?
I have the backup files and I have the original data files to work with if
needed.
Should I install 7.0 on another machine to try to recover the data, or shoul
d I just install a new copy of 2000 and try it?
Thanks for your reply.
Reed|||I personally would re-install 7.0, restore the backup (yes, you can do it if
the backup file is good), and then follow the Microsoft recommendations to
pgrade to SQL Server 2000.
I restore from machine to different machine all the time, especially when I
need fresh data from a cliet on my development lab boxen.
Kevin Hill
President
3NF Consulting
www.3nf-inc.com/NewsGroups.htm
www.DallasDBAs.com/forum - new DB forum for Dallas/Ft. Worth area DBAs.
"Reed" <rsprung@.solutionsom.com> wrote in message
news:D927B945-5826-474A-8B4A-9E0B4739ACAB@.microsoft.com...
> I haven't tried. I don't have another machine running SQL right now (I
will soon). I just remember that I couldn't do it before (this was probably
a couple of years ago).
> Are you telling me that I should be able to restore to a different
machine? I have the backup files and I have the original data files to work
with if needed.
> Should I install 7.0 on another machine to try to recover the data, or
should I just install a new copy of 2000 and try it?
> Thanks for your reply.
> Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment