Monday, March 26, 2012

Item vs. System Level Security

I am trying to deploy RS in a corporate environment. I have folders set up at
different organizational levels. I would like to allow certain users only
within those organization levels to create linked reports and deploy them
within their respective organizational levels. I thought that by granting
those users full item-level security they could achieve this. Unfortunately,
when I tried this it did not work.
1. Which task allows users to view report properties and create linked
reports? I'm assuming this is a system-level task.
2. Is there any way that I can assign this task to a role which restricts
the user to only exercising that authority only within a certain folder. I
obviously don't want to give the user the ability to create linked reports
site wide but only in the respective organizational folder.
3. Is there anyway to combine system-level and item-level tasks into a
single role or to customize security configurations?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TedCreating linked reports is an item level task. In report manager go to the
site settings tab and then the 'Configure item-level roledefinitions' link.
From here you can create roles as you see fit. One of the tasks you can
assign is 'Create Linked reports'. You can not combine system and
item-level task, but then again you shouldn't need to.
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Ted" <Ted@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:287C4AA6-65EC-411A-9E93-4C1CDA463AE2@.microsoft.com...
> I am trying to deploy RS in a corporate environment. I have folders set up
at
> different organizational levels. I would like to allow certain users only
> within those organization levels to create linked reports and deploy them
> within their respective organizational levels. I thought that by granting
> those users full item-level security they could achieve this.
Unfortunately,
> when I tried this it did not work.
> 1. Which task allows users to view report properties and create linked
> reports? I'm assuming this is a system-level task.
> 2. Is there any way that I can assign this task to a role which restricts
> the user to only exercising that authority only within a certain folder. I
> obviously don't want to give the user the ability to create linked reports
> site wide but only in the respective organizational folder.
> 3. Is there anyway to combine system-level and item-level tasks into a
> single role or to customize security configurations?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment