Friday, February 24, 2012

Issue on SQL in MS SQL2000 and Access

I am not a programmer so anyone who can help, please do.

I have downloaded an application written for MS SQL2000 but I want to use my desktop for testing and configuration where I have Access and XP Pro IIS. I was told that the SQL in MS SQL2000 is not the same as SQL in Access, so I will face problem even if I change the connection string to point to Access instead of MS SQL2000.

Is this true? If yes, how can I change the SQLs so that it works with Access?Yes, it is decidely true. While Jet (the database engine that MS-Access uses by default) uses an SQL-like language, it isn't the real McCoy. MS-SQL implements nearly all of the SQL-92 standard, and plays by the rules nearly all of the time.

With the Professional version of MS-Access, you get MSDE included on the CD, but not automajikally installed. You can install it (and I'd strongly recommend applying Service Pack 3), and it will give you almost exactly the same functionality as MS-SQL, but pared down to run on a workstation.

-PatP|||Does that mean if I buy a MS Office Pro (which I supposed have MSDE in it) and install the software in my desktop, it should run fine? Or should I buy other software from MS?

And you mentioned the MSDE not installed automatically, how do I then installed it?|||Operative word being should, yes, the application should work using MSDE.

MSDE is included in all of the Professional versions of MS-Access, including the one that ships as part of MS-Office Professional.

The MSDE installation instructions vary slightly from one product to another. To install the version shipped with MS-Office, you double click the SETUP icon in the MSDE folder on the CD.

-PatP|||Thanks again for the information.

Just to further my knowledge on SQL, do you have samples (or do you know a website that has samples) that shows the differences between the SQL in an Access query and that in MS SQL2000?

It would be nice to know some basic differences....

No comments:

Post a Comment